BIOLOGICAL COSMETICAL ECOCERT
Ecological and organic cosmetics repository
Ecocert was the first certification body to develop a repository for "Environmental and Biological Cosmetics".
In 2003, the terms of reference were prepared in consultation with all stakeholders in the industry: experts, suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, consumers and development agencies. The Ecocert cosmetic certification requirement allows a real guarantee of environmental compliance throughout the production chain.
Ecocert now supports more than 1000 companies in their certification process.
The fundamental principles of the Ecocert repository
To guarantee an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the Ecocert repository requires:
1. The use of ingredients from renewable resources and processed through environmentally friendly processes. Ecocert therefore checks:
The absence of GMOs, parabens, phenoxyethanol, nanoparticles, silicone, PEG, perfumes and synthetic dyes, ingredients from animals (except naturally produced by them: milk, honey...).
The biodegradable or recyclable character of packagings.
2. A minimum threshold of natural and organic agriculture ingredients to be achieved for certification:
In all cases, 95% minimum of total ingredients must be natural or natural.
For the label Biological cosmetic :
- 95% minimum plant ingredients of the formula must be derived from organic farming.
- 10% of the total ingredients must be from organic farming.
For the label Ecological cosmetics :
- 50% minimum of the plant ingredients of the formula must be derived from organic farming.
- 5% minimum of total ingredients must be from organic farming.
/! : Some ingredients very present in cosmetics (water, salts, minerals) cannot be certified organic because not from agriculture. Shampoos and some creams, mostly water compounds, contain between 10% and 40% organic ingredients. An essential oil, which does not contain water, can display up to 100% organic ingredients.
3. Annual audits at all manufacturing and packaging sites.
To learn more: www.ecocert.com