Cosmebio is the most important French professional association of ecological and biological cosmetics. It brings together more than 400 French and foreign members. Cosmebio works for the development of a natural and organic cosmetic based on products from organic farming and green chemistry.
Its mission is neither control nor certification of cosmetics. The Cosmebio charter defines the requirements in terms of general objectives for humans and the environment, specificities in the accepted ingredients and raw materials, and techniques for obtaining and processing authorized raw materials.
The COSMEBIO charter defines the following specifications
- For products: selection of ingredients (GMO-free products, no materials from petrochemicals, no fragrance or synthetic coloring), selection of processing and manufacturing processes.
- For people: the marketing of cosmetic products is done in the respect and well-being of consumers, through comprehensive information and transparency on the whole industry to the finished product.
- For the environment: by respect for life in general (products not tested on animals), by specific measures within the framework of respect for the environment (recyclable and non-pollutant packagings, selective sorting...)
- For the economy and society: sustainable development, fair trade.
Cosmebio has 2 labels
Obtained after certification by an independent body (companies can become adherents to Cosmébio only if they manufacture cosmetics already certified organic by a certification body).
- The organic label imposes minimum 95% natural ingredients or of natural origin, 95% of plant ingredients from organic farming and 10% of all ingredients from organic farming.
- The eco label requires a minimum 95% natural or natural ingredients, 50% of plant ingredients from organic farming, and 5% of all ingredients.
For more information, see www.cosmebio.org