The attagenus of the carpets
You have found insects delecting from your textiles but also from cereals and other foodstuffs. then it may be an attacking invasion. these small insects in the order of the beetles. and it would be best for you to be only mites, because the attacking larvae (like the anthrene) can cause great damage, especially in your dressing room. Find out in this folder a set of answers and products that will allow you to fight the most and more attackers in homes. to the first signs, you have to react....
Latin name: Attagenus unicolor
Family:Dermestide (grouping rats, campagnols, mulots...)
Adult size:2.5 to 5.5 mm
Larvae length: 12.5mm, cylindrical body recalling the shape of a cigar
Location:House closets, museums and food warehouses
Power supply:Vegetable and animal materials, nectar/pollen (adult only,) textile, wool and cereals
What you need to know about the attagenus
Attagenus are small insects with an elongated oval shape and hard shell. they have a small head with two short antennae ending in a massing. the first segments of the antennae and legs are slightly paler. black (sometimes brown to golden) they are covered with dark brown hair. They only measure 3 mm in length. these insects have wings allowing them to fly over small distances.
Attacking adults only live very little time, on average, 2 to 8 weeks (which is not the case with their larvae).
We find the Attagenus all over the world. They enter the homes by windows, open doors, roof, ventilation outlets and cracks. and no matter what type of accommodation. in apartment, single house, in the countryside, in town, in old and in new torso, the Attagenus will adapt very well. They mainly feed on nectar and pollen, but also love barley, peanut, sound or corn. They can also tackle synthetic textiles, wool, leathers, furs, animal hairs, their croquettes, hair, feather, insect collections ...
Attagenus are considered to be minor pests of cereal products. but they are true scourges when talking about fabrics or when they are observed in museums.
The breeding season starts as soon as the temperature reaches 15 °C. if it exceeds 30°C, reproduction is no longer possible. The adult, who developed inside the house, will go outside to feed on pollen and nectar. After mating, the females can return to the house and lay the eggs behind the folds, in the hot air ducts of the heating system, in the granaries, etc. the female Attagenus then deposit their eggs in foods already infested. they dig galleries to protect their offspring. females are able to lay up to 115 eggs in their lives (between 50 and 100 eggs on average). They hatch only a 15th day.
Attagenus larvae that come out are cylindrical in shape. their body is brown and red, and fully covered with very thick hair, like a chenille. their abdomen, at its extremity, has a tuft of brown hair with a brush shape.
Larvae have a very developed head and legs. their growth is up to 2 years if climate conditions are not favourable. On the other hand, it will take only 8 months if the temperatures remain constant at 24 °C. Finally, if the temperatures fall below 15 °C, the larvae are in diapause (in dormant state during which its development and metabolic activities are slowed). during the larval period (8 to 24 months), the larva will suffer from 5 to 11 mues. this number can be up to 20 if the conditions are unfavourable.
The Attagenus larva doesn't like and flees the light. The fabrics with the greatest chance of being infested are those left in the dark places, the carpets, under the furniture and the clothes stored. the larva moves little and stays close to where it feeds.
How do I spot the presence of an attagenus ?
Attagenus larvae love to feel compressed between 2 surfaces. It is then common to meet them for example under a mattress that would be placed directly on a carpet. The sofas, click-clac, carpets, materials containing animal fibers as well as clothing fibers that can be attacked by carpet attackers can also be cited. Pay attention to the target objects of larvae in order to stop any infestation. It is necessary to look for: insects, exuvies (larv mues rests), galleries, silk cocoons, corpses, excrements (small granules) and traces of snacks. more precisely the hidden parts of the textiles (upsides, seams, folds, pockets, base of the hairs, paddings,) the displays and reserves (camouflaged areas, interstices).
The signs of presence of the most visible attagenus will be:
1 - Food packages
2 - The presence of larval excavations and dejections in closets
3 - Holes in your clothes, carpet, fur..
There are different ways of preventing an attagenus invasion in his home:
1 - Installation of mosquito nets on windows and doors to avoid their intrusion in homes.
2 - Meticulous passage of the vacuum cleaner around and in the furniture, under the carpets, behind the sofas... the attagenus love the places where dust accumulates! Think about getting rid of the bag because the simple aspiration won't kill them. They'll be able to come out through the vacuum cleaner's duct.
3 - Empty your food closets and clean them to the maximum
4 - Close your food packages in hermetic boxes
5 - Clean curtains, furs, clothing
6 - Do not forget to regularly air your closets
7 - Fine grilling installation on ventilation traps
8 - Do not let your dogs and cats hang out
9 - Regularly brush your pets to limit the accumulation of hair under furniture
10 - Calm the visible cracks. Make as much as possible the outer contours of the windows, doors, cornices, chimneys, etc.
How to eliminate attagenus ?
If you only find a few adult attagenus in your home, there is no reason to worry. They certainly arrive from the outside and will only pass. treatment using our insect barrier on window and door frames should deter them. Just like laying a net will create an effective physical barrier against any intrusion.
If, on the other hand, these are larvae that you find inside, it may be more disturbing.
Careful and methodical treatment of all parts where their presence is proven will be required.
The following information is to be modulated according to the severity of the attack. Below we offer a method when you are in the scenario of a proven invasion.
1. completely empty your closet. Check them carefully one by one. When you fall on a larva or an adult, trap it with an adhesive. Be careful not to scatter your clothes to prevent attagenus from spreading into other living rooms.
2. perform disinfection of clothes: a minimum of 48 hours to the freezer for all objects supporting the cold or at a temperature of 60°C (washing machine or dry linen). we can also deal with the anti-mite spray Aries all the clothing you need or those you don't need right now (winter/summer tumble, etc.). for those there and to be really quiet, you can lock them in plastic bags or a totally hermetic cover. Also check your books and various papers. Think about getting you helped by friends or family because this operation can last a long time.
3. for clothes, you also have the solution to put them in a trash bag and fill the volume of air with insecticide. for this, it is best to use l'insecticide Ecodoo based on alcohol and essential oils. close the bag and let the insecticide act at least 48 hours. 3. this method will have a double function. You place insects present in an environment both deprived of oxygen but also saturated in insecticide.
4. pass the vacuum cleaner in all the corners (mainly the dusty,) this in order to remove, eggs, larvae, insect corpses and organic debris that can feed the attagenus (all corners, corners, corners, mattresses, closets, carpets, drawers, windows). a steam cleaner can also be used. Gently pass it everywhere (especially on the floor if it comes to parquet, folds, windows).
5. treat all surfaces, kidneys, slits, cracks, etc. with our insecticide all insects (4j to 5%), as well as all strategic locations borrowed by the attagenus (paternhes, inner perimeter of the wardrobes, etc.). This 500 ml spray will allow you to process about 5 m2. for larger surfaces, use this same product but under it concentrated form. You will then make a 5% dilution in a sprayer (950 ml of water + 50 ml of pure insecticide). Do not neglect any place, the attagenus can take refuge everywhere. Do not hesitate to wear a mask during the operation if you are sensitive to odors and do treatment in the absence of children and pets. you can safely aerate during and after treatment with this product because it is a contact insecticide. Wait a minimum of 6 hours before reinvesting the treated places. This will allow the product to dry. to decrease them and increase your chances of destroying them, we recommend that you plan 2 treatments after about 1 week of intervalley with this insecticide.
6 - Attagenus are structure insects. they manage to move from one floor to another and from one room to another by the structure voids. to be sure not to forget anyone diatomaceous earth can be of great help. this fine powder made of silicon dioxide will be dreadful against attagenus. It is a natural insecticide that kills insects by dehydration by damaging their skeletons by absorption of protective waxes. You will need to sprinkle it behind the current and switch sockets, as well as the piping outlets. for action in the smallest corners, small holes and interstices difficult to access, prefer the spray diatom in the form of aerosol. this earth acts by mechanical action. Once the attagenus put in contact with this datomicidal earth, he will end up dying wounds inflicted after a few days.
In the event that attagenus larvae are found in your natural fibre clothing, it will be necessary to aerate these clothes (or wash them,) pass the vacuum cleaner on the tablets or in the drawers, then get rid of the bag. Then a thin layer of diatomed earth can be spread around tablets and/or drawers. place a cover of paper (or other) in the bottom of the drawers so that the clothes do not come into contact with the product. the earth of diatomy having no life, it is you who will decide to suck it when you think the attagenus invasion is over.
7-Put the clothes back in your closets.
8 -To finish and to disrupt their receptors, you have to install products that smell good but that will mask odors. for this, we offer 2 references. don't surprise you that they are to the mites of clothing. It works perfectly also for attagenus! :
a- Lot of 10 packs of antimites clothing (contains essential oil of cedar wood, excellent repulsive) packed in a welded aluminium bag, to be placed on shelves.
b- Protection Anti-mites textiles aries contains 2 diffusers that can be hung to a closet.
9 -Don't forget to spend the vacuum cleaner several times a week and eventually take advantage of it to give a little bomb shot insecticide Ecodoo before closing the closet.
10 -To be sure to put all chances on its side, you can use once the treatment of insecticide 4j performed, our fogger habitat Biovétol. it is an insecticide automatic diffuser composed of plant-based assets (pyrethre + géraniol). it is intended for the background treatment of the habitat. very volatile, the solution is deposited in the smallest corners where pests and insects are located. immediate and prolonged action, up to 4 months. 3 different formats exist: 75ml for treatment less than 15m2, 150ml, for treatment less than 30 m2. Finally, 250ml, for treatment greater than 30m2.
After all these operations, it is recommended to continue a daily and thorough inspection. you will remove the larvae or beetles found and continue to pass the vacuum cleaner on a regular basis. it is possible to find some more within 2 weeks after treatment. It's normal. only unpack what you need during this time to avoid any re-contamination.
The products you need against the attagenus
Directly access the detailed product data sheets to control attagenus.
*pae: ready for employment